Bookshelves can be much more than a place to store books. These shelves are a great opportunity to showcase keepsakes, family photos and knick-knacks. Here are some tips and tricks to perfectly decorate a bookshelf:
- Pair items in odd numbers with differing sizes. For example, choose 3 vases of varying heights. Varying the size of objects add interest, rather than a uniformed, coupled look.
- Add greenery. Adding a potted plant to your shelf introduces an organic pop of color. Plants are also known to boost mood, reduce stress and purify the air!
- Show off vacation photos. Frame a photo that you took on vacation of lovely architecture or a serene beach. It will be a daily reminder of your travels, is less expensive than buying artwork and much more personal!
- Add whimsy. Quirky sculptures, neon signs or cheeky word art bring humor and fun to ordinarily dull shelving.
- Introduce accent colors. If you are looking to liven up a room with some bold colors but are not willing to commit to a large orange sofa, add pops of color on your bookshelf. Brightly colored artwork, lively hued bowls, and fun, graphic books can introduce colors that you wouldn’t want to be a focal point of a room, but rather an accent.
- Celebrate each season. Switch out your decor seasonally to celebrate every holiday from Christmas to the Fourth of July while having year-round staple pieces as anchors.
However you chose to decorate your bookshelves, always make sure they are a reflection of you and your family. Happy decorating!
By Sheeja Nair, Interior designer, Raashi Design, LLC