Happy New Year to all our HOX families, we hope your holiday season was a great one. We are busy preparing for the HOX 2022 swim season. Please keep an eye out for an email letting you know when the HOX registration will open. Kickoff is right around the corner on March 6. Our kickoff is when we reveal our theme for 2022 and bring in the new HOX apparel for you to try on, order and purchase. It’s a great opportunity to catch up with our coaches, order your backstroke flags and sign up for our fun social events. Can’t wait to see you there.
Is the HOX swim team right for my family?
For sure! Joining the HOX is an amazing experience for each swimmer who benefit from the experienced coaches, outdoor activity, so many memorable events, swim practices that are challenging yet fun at the same time, swim meets and most importantly making the long-lasting friendships. How do the parents have fun? The parents of HOX swimmers will not only find their calendars full of swim meets, practices, but other social events that include the entire family like the Lip Sync contest, Parent Auction night, Hike to the Hawk, Mom’s night out and so many more.
The HOX has so many long-standing traditions that are passed down thru the years and have become a cherished part of the swim season. Our swimmers look forward to these traditions from year to year. Pasta feeds, awards, car decorating, spirit week, the legend of Atuahawku and so many more.
If you would like to experience a spectacular summer filled with friends and some good old-fashioned fun, then the Blackhawk Swim team is for you.
Please feel free to reach out to Coach Sean Quakenbush for more details. email@example.com
Junior Olympics 2021
The HOX was proud to send eight of our qualifying swimmers to compete in the Junior Olympics 2021 December 3rd, 4th, and 5th in Santa Clara.
• Annika Nelson-9th 100 Individual Medley & 10th 50 Freestyle
• Colton Brandt-9th 50 Backstroke
• Graham Hodson-6th 500 Freestyle & 100 Butterfly
• Harlow Heiden-7th 50 Breaststroke & 10th Girls 11-12 200-yard Medley Relay
• Isabella Valdes-4th 50 Butterfly
• Lucas Tsubota-7th 50 Butterfly, 9th 50 Freestyle, 14th Boys 11-12 200-yard Freestyle Relay & 9th Boys 11-12 200-yard Boys Medley Relay
• Mia McConnell-9th Girls 13-14 200-yard Medley Relay
• Nathan Kondapalli-5th 50 Breaststroke, 8th 100 Breaststroke, 14th Boys 11-12 200-yard Freestyle Relay & 9th Boys 11-12 200-yard Medley Relay
Congrats to all our JO swimmers. Way to represent the HOX!
HOX Meet Schedule 2022
Sunday, May 15 Time Trials
Sunday, May 21 Orinda @ HOX
Saturday, June 4 Round Hill @ HOX
Wednesday, June 8 HOX @ SRAC
Saturday, June 11 Diablo @ HOX
Wednesday, June 15 Springbrook @ HOX
Saturday, June 18 Sycamore @ HOX
Wednesday, June 22 Del Amigo @ HOX
Sat/Sun, June 25/26 Battle of the Ages
Wednesday, July 6 Danville @ HOX
Sat/Sun, July 9/10 Woodlands Invitational
Sunday, July 10 Springbrook Pentathlon
Wednesday, July 13 HOX @ Dana Hills
Sunday, July 17 Last Chance
Sat/Sun, July 23/24 VSA
Sat/Sun, July 30/31 LMYA
*Dates are subject to change
The HOX is one of seven teams in the Valley Swim Association (VSA). The HOX team competes against these teams during the season- ending with the VSA League Champion Meet.
HOX Team Highlights
2021Dual Meet Season: Undefeated (10-0)
2021 VSA League Meet: 1st Place
2020 NorCal Virtual Championship Meet Co-Hosts
2019 Dual Meet Season: Undefeated (11-0)
2019 VSA League Meet: 1st Place
2019 LMYA Invitational Meet: 2nd Place
2018 Dual Meet Season: Undefeated(10-0)
Coaches Corner- Tamas Kerekjarto
Tamas Kerekjarto, is a member and volunteer coach at Blackhawk Country Club where his son Aba swims on the team. Tamas has been an invaluable resource for the HOX swim team as a technical and high-performance consultant to Head Coach Sean Quackenbush.
Tamas is a three-time Olympian – has been an active member of numerous distinguished swimming communities for the past 30 years, not just as an athlete but as a mentor, journalist
– publishing a few articles in the FINA Olympic Magazine
– volunteer & assistant coach and parent. Tamas started his competitive swimming career at age 6 and after breaking several age group national records of his native country Hungary, he became a Junior European Champion at age 17 & 18 respectively. He came to the US receiving a full scholarship at the University of Southern California and helped the Trojans by achieving half a dozen top 3 finishes – individual and relays – in the Pac 10 Championships, NCAA 3rd and 4th places in the 200IM & 400IM events along with an NCAA Championship title with an NCAA record in the 800-freestyle relay. Tamas graduated with a B.S in Economics and stayed another 4 years at USC as a Volunteer Assistant Coach and professional swimmer while finishing his MS in Computer Science.
Tamas has represented Hungary in three Olympic Games: 1996 Atlanta, 2004 Athens and 2008 Beijing. In – his signature event, the 200 IM, he placed 5th in the 2007 World Championships in Melbourne, won a silver and 2 bronze medals in 3 Short Course and Long Course European Championships and collected 8 World Cup medals between 2004 – 2008. As part of the Hungarian National team for 10 years he won 8 Hungarian National titles in the 200 IM, 400 IM, 200 Fly and 800 Free Relay.
After finishing his professional swimming career in 2008 Tamas continued to stay with the sport and became an ‘age group’ swimmer again by participating in US Masters competitions throughout the country while building his professional career as a Software Engineer & Architect at various Fortune Five Companies. Between 2008 – 2019 he has broken 4 World and several National Masters Records in two age group categories.
As a lifelong high-performance athlete and Senior Level leader in the tech world Tamas has also been vigorously researching and studying how to improve and maximize both physical and cognitive productivity targeting adults and children experimenting with HIIT training (High Intensity Interval Training), USRPT (Ultra Short Race Pace Training), biohacking, polyphasic sleep, growth mindset, mindfulness, occupational therapy and many more.
Tamas’ number one personal consultant is his wife Erzsebet Legrady (Liz) with whom they share an infinite love towards their 10-yearold son Aba and recently welcomed a beautiful baby girl, Zoe, in November.
By Coach Sean Quakenbush